Monday 22 April 2013

Magic Maguire delighted with first Dev Squad goal


With West Ham triumphing 2-0 over Wigan Athletic on Saturday, the omission of over-age players Wellington Paulista, Dan Potts and Jordan Spence from Friday’s Development Squad win over Wolverhampton Wanderers turned out to be of no significance. However, it did give forward Sean Maguire a chance for his first start and debut goal for the reserves.

Maguire has opened up about his delight at playing and scoring in the 3-2 win after being hampered by an ankle injury, and is aiming to finish the season on a high.




The 18-year-old Irishman told West Ham TV: "I'm very happy to be honest with you. It has been a good while coming, before that an ankle injury had me out for about four weeks and I'm delighted now to actually be starting.

"It kicks on from here and hopefully that will be the first of many. I'm looking forward to the upcoming games and hopefully we can end the season strongly.”

He added that his training has been going well and hopes to score a few more goals this season.

Wolves had Cameroon international George Elokobi on defensive duty in the first half on Friday, which was a tough test for the Ireland U19 international. It was a defensive error that allowed Maguire to strike, but he was in the right place at the right time.

Maguire admitted: "The goal was a mistake, the defender tried to head it back to the keeper and I thought I'd take a chance and luckily enough it fell straight to me. I took it around the 'keeper, it was a tight angle and it took forever to go in. I was just standing there watching, but fortunately it went in and I was just delighted.

"Nick [Haycock] said he was pleased with my performance and personally I thought I did very well. At times I could have done better, I could have held it up better. But it's my first 90 minutes in a while and my calves started to cramp up but I kept going.

"It was a good experience coming up against George Elokobi. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity coming up against a top-class defender. He looks like a rugby player! But he's a very good player as well, so it was good to play against him."

Maguire is settling in well with fellow Irishmen to help him feel at home. First teamers Joey O’Brien and Stephen Henderson have helped him, whilst he said he is good friends with Eoin Wearen and lives with Kieran Sadlier.

After what could have been a frustrating start for Maguire, it seems as though the only way is up, and to finish with the words “...I couldn't really be any happier” is a good sign from a young talent.


By Lucy Woolford, Youth and Development Squad reporter

@lucy_whufc

No comments:

Post a Comment