Wednesday 10 April 2013

Hotshot Wellington will keep plugging away to catch Allardyce's eye



On loan striker Wellington Paulista scored his fifth goal for the Hammers’ Development Squad on Monday night, and has said that he will continue to work hard to impress first team boss Sam Allardyce.

Speaking to West Ham TV through multi-talented teammate and translator Sebastian Lletget, Paulista said that he is constantly trying to improve and hopes to break into the first team.

He said: "Whether I score or not, I'm confident either way. I'm always trying to bring other players into the game and trying to be more versatile in that sense. I'm doing a lot in training, just to get in the manager's eye and hopefully to get into the team.

"I'm very happy [to see the first-team doing well] but I obviously want to be a part of it. I'll be working hard right until the end of my six-month deal and I'd like to stay here if I can."

Paulista is clearly enjoying his time in East London. With five goals to his name, he admitted that he has enjoyed celebrating each of them.

"Ever since I was a kid, it was always just natural to enjoy scoring, whether it's for the first team or for the reserves, a goal's a goal and I enjoy it either way.

"It's good, [being with the Development Squad], but obviously playing with younger players is a different experience to what I'm used to. There's a lot of talent at this club, but of course they have a lot to learn."

Paulista also found time to praise the Hammers fans and likened them to the “passionate” Brazilian fans.

It’s nice to know that Paulista, or “Welly” to his teammates, would like a contract. Not everyone settles in so well and so quickly. Maybe his quick feet will be useful in the first team one day.

By Lucy Woolford, Youth and Development Squad reporter

@lucy_whufc

No comments:

Post a Comment