Wednesday 6 March 2013

I just couldn't sign for Spurs- and now I want to end my career with the Hammers: Joe Cole

West Ham star Joe Cole has said that he wants to end his career at the Boleyn Ground- and could not bear the thought of signing for London rivals Tottenham.

In an interview with Chelsea fanzine cfcuk, the England man stated that he regretted his move to Liverpool in summer 2010, having never had a "connection" with the club.

"I can only play for teams that I'm passionate about and I think that's what went wrong for me at Liverpool- I didn't feel the same connection that I had with West Ham."

Before moving to Anfield, Cole was strongly linked with a move to Spurs; but says that he could never sign for the North London side.

"Spurs was probably the best option (at the time) because they offered me a five year deal and it would have meant I could stay in similar surroundings- but with the rivalry between Spurs and West Ham, it felt a bit mercenary and I just couldn't do it, I couldn't pull that Spurs shirt over my head."

The 31 year old says that his move to Upton Park during the January transfer window just gone by was exactly what he needed. "I was missing London and my family and I had a personal tragedy in December when my brother-in-law died; and now I don't want to move any more."

Well here you have it- Joey Cole is back at West Ham and isn't going anywhere. Great news- just need him back from injury now!

By Alex Shilling, News Editor

@alexshilling

No comments:

Post a Comment