Tuesday 29 January 2013

Maguire motivated to perform

Young striker Sean Maguire has revealed that he can’t wait to settle into Premier League life with West Ham, but admits he has been slightly frustrated.

The 19-year-old has told the Evening Herald that after having two reserve matches postponed, he is very happy to have finally worn a West Ham shirt.

The Irishman made his Development Squad debut in the 2-0 victory against Arsenal on Monday during which he played as a winger, which is not his preferred attacking position.

Maguire said: “"Some people are expecting me to be the next James McClean or Shane Long, because I went to a Premier League club from the League of Ireland, but I just want to do myself justice and get myself established in the reserves first and then, hopefully, the first team, like I did with Waterford United.”

He aims to score a Premier League goal by the end of the season, but he knows that he has another couple of years to prove himself.

He certainly seems to have his head screwed on and is a driven young man. The club must nurture him and ensure he doesn’t get too frustrated with lack of playing time.

By Lucy Woolford

No comments:

Post a Comment