Monday 13 May 2013

Workaholic O'Neil states desire for Boleyn Ground stay as Allardyce wields axe

West Ham midfielder Gary O'Neil has in the last hour told London24 that he 'would love' to stay at Upton Park, amid speculation that his time at the East London club is set to come to and end with his contract expiring next week.

"I'd love to stay, but I haven't heard anything from the club to be honest," said O'Neil, who turns 30 on Saturday.


"That is 11 starts on the trot for me. The manager showed a lot of faith in me, leaving me in there [the first eleven] when Nobes [Mark Noble] was fit again after his injury and since I've been there, we've managed to secure safety, while last year he called me in with 15 games to go and we managed to get over the line."

"So I think I have done okay when he has used me and hopefully that is enough for him to want to offer me something."

Allardyce earlier today told the Evening Standard that he is planning to strengthen his squad over the summer and strongly suggested that the rebuilding process could involve trimming his squad and cutting out-of-contract players such as O'Neil and striker Carlton Cole.

By Alex Shilling, News Editor

@alexshilling

No comments:

Post a Comment