Wednesday 15 May 2013

I owe it all to Big Sam, says Irons star O'Brien

West Ham defender Joey O'Brien has reflected upon a productive season at the Boleyn Ground and heaped praise upon manager Sam Allardyce, who recently signed a new contract at the East London club.

"I missed out four years with injury, those are the harsh facts," the Republic of Ireland international told the Newham Recorder.

"Two seasons ago when I got released from Bolton, nobody wanted me, there wasn't a manager in the Football League that wanted me. Sam has been great with me since I was a kid, so if I hadn't had a relationship with Sam Allardyce, I wouldn't be where I am now- I owe him a lot."

The utility man, who has filled in all across the back four for the Hammers this season, has made 62 appearances in all competitions for West Ham since signing on a free transfer the summer before last after the Trotters let him go- having made just 50 in seven years at the Reebok Stadium.

"When I was out for all that time, I didn't want to just come back and play one game," O'Brien stated.

"I wanted to come back and play every game in the Premier League. I did it in the past when I was a kid so I knew I could do it again. It surprises other people, not me, so maybe they didn't think I was as good as what I am."

By Alex Shilling, News Editor

@alexshilling

No comments:

Post a Comment